Of the many types of nylon (also known as polyamide), nylon 6,6 and nylon 6 are the most widely used. And while they compete with each other in many applications, nylon 6,6 is often superior.
- Excellent abrasion resistance
- Outstanding dimensional stability
- Lower dry heat and steam shrinkage
- Higher melting point
- Better dye wash fastness and UV light fastness
- Higher tensile strength
The property differences between nylon 6,6 and nylon 6 arise from the molecular structure and higher order structure differences (such as crystal structure), which provide nylon 6,6 with several advantages.
- Better molecular alignment
- Higher hydrogen bonding density
- Higher crystallization rate
- Higher crystallinity
Nylon 6,6 Value in Use
|Glass Transition Temperature (°C)||50||40|
|Plastic Temperature (°C)||220||160|
|Melting Temperature (°C)||258||218|
|Specific Gravity (g/cm3)||1.14||1.14|
|Refractive Index - Unoriented (N0)||1.58||1.53|
|Moisture Regain % at 65% RH||3.8||4.3|
|Shrinkage % Boiling Water||8-10||12-15|
INVISTA Quality Commitment
INVISTA is committed to providing the highest quality products and services to its customers. The company is focused on anticipating its customers’ needs and making products that meet the highest industry standards. In fact, all stages of INVISTA’s nylon 6,6 polymer manufacturing process utilize computerized Statistical Process Control (SPC) to ensure product consistency.
Packaging and Shipping
INVISTA nylon 6,6 polymer can be supplied via bulk deliveries, flexible intermediate bulk containers (FIBCs), corrugated boxes, or sacks depending on customer requirements.
- Bulk Deliveries: Deliveries may be made in clean, 30-ft or 20-ft ISO containers (20,000 to 30,000 kg), protected with a new polyethylene liner prior to filling.
- FIBCs: Each polypropylene FIBC (750 kg) contains an inner polyethylene liner to avoid contamination and minimize absorption of moisture.
- Corrugated Boxes: Polyethylene liners in reusable corrugated containers (~615 kg) help reduce moisture absorption for long-term storage and ocean shipments.